Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Individuality

[caption id="attachment_456" align="alignright" width="170"]Broken Relationships Individuality - A Threat to Peace[/caption]

What is Individuality?

Wow, what a great sounding word – I N D I V I D U A L I T Y! That’s all we hear from Hollywood. We deserve! We have the right to ___!

One definition is “the interests of the individual as distinguished from the interests of the community.”

Oswald Chambers describes individuality as “the hard outer layer surrounding the inner spiritual life.” We too often see individuality shoving others aside; separating and isolating; creating division instead of unity and peace.

Most agree that the characteristics of individuality are independence and self-will. In view of that let me ask you these questions:

  • How can two individuals build a relationship when each persists in maintaining their own individuality?

  • How can conflicts be resolved when each protagonist insists on their own rights first?


I submit that individuality is the primary barrier to building and maintaining relationships; and the primary barrier to personal peace.

  • The world’s view of individuality asserts pride over forgiveness; as in, so-and-so hurt my feelings. I don’t have to put up with that.

  • The same world view demands respect forgetting that respect is earned, not God-given.

  • Individuality says “you go first” then if I feel vindicated, I’ll respond.


Maintaining Individuality in Relationships

I’m not suggesting that we always submit our individuality. That would be subservience in the worst form and would be very harmful to us.

There are very often times when we have to weigh our individuality against the value of the relationship. If we can yield without compromising our integrity, morals, or personal beliefs, and the relationship is meaningful to us, then we need to subordinate our individuality for the health of the relationship.

If compromise requires us to devalue ourselves emotionally, ethically or morally, then we need to look long and hard at the value of the relationship.

Dangers of Abused Individuality

Abused individuality is what makes us stew over and over again because somebody offended us.

Abused individuality never forgets a wrong suffered. In fact it actively keeps count.

Abused individuality always puts it's own self-interest above the interests of the whole, be it a couple, a family, an office staff, a committee, or a church.

Abused individuality will absolutely destroys your peace.

But abused individuality is not a permanent condition. In fact, it can be dealt with much easier than you think.

My Story

I was exercising my individuality for years every time I got angry over the men who had hurt my family. The problem is that my individuality was costing me every relationship that was important. I learned how to balance my individuality with the importance of my relationships. You can, too!

I put the how-to online.

God bless,

Rod Peeks

www.findingpersonalpeace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment