Thursday, February 7, 2013

Relationships - COP AN ATTITUDE!

"Cop a Bad Attitude; Lose a Relationship"
Cop a Bad Attitude;
Lose a Relationship 

Your attitude toward your relationship is far more important that you may think. 


If you value a relationship; if there is love; if there is the joy of good fellowship; if there is any affection or compassion toward another person, I encourage you to cop an attitude.

Let me explain myself 

I've gotten some funny looks at times when I've tried to encourage someone, especially a young person, by telling them I like their attitude.

In street vernacular, to cop an attitude means to “take a negative or opposite attitude about something.” It’s also known as “tude.” I would certainly never suggest that I like a negative attitude that I see in someone.

An attitude is “a predisposition or a tendency to respond positively or negatively towards a certain idea, object, person, or situation. Attitude influences an individual's choice of action, and responses to challenges, incentives, and rewards (together called stimuli).”

So when I tell someone I like their attitude, I’m saying I like the way the present themselves or respond to the situations around them.

The origin of the word "cop" as used here is a slang term used to mean "pick, to take hold of, to catch." So, in the sense I use “to Cop an Attitude” I saying you need to take hold of or to catch a predisposition to respond positively toward your relationship.

 So what attitudes should you cop if you want a healthy relationship?

  • You can show love toward the relationship
  • You can be united in spirit with your partner
  • You can be intent on shared purposes
  • You can show humility.
  • You can avoid promoting yourself ahead of your partner
  • You can be unselfish
  • You can regard your partner as more important than yourself
  • You can look out for your spouse’s, child’s, friend’s interests before your own
  • You can speak the truth judiciously
  • You can respect the space of your partner
  • You can encourage and lift up at every opportunity
  • You can be quick to forgive and diligent to forget offenses

Do you have a problem here? 

Do any of these attitudes that I say you should “cop” give you a little heartburn?

Do you find yourself thinking “I can’t do that” or “That’s not fair?” Before you walk away from a casual relationship or create a lot of stress in a permanent relationship (like marriage and parenthood), I encourage you to examine your thinking about why you resist copping one of these attitudes.

Have your brought some baggage into the relationship from your past experiences that is making things difficult in this relationship? You can get rid of that baggage?

Are you judging your relationship partner based on criteria formed in earlier situations? You can dump those criteria.

Are you expecting your relationship partner to conform to a pattern from your past that may be based on faulty suppositions? You can break that pattern.

Do you find yourself copping a negative attitude in your relationship in response to hurts from the past? You can soften or remove that pain.

Finding Personal Peace will show you how to get rid of the baggage, dump the criteria, break the patterns, or deal with the pain that is causing you trouble in relationships today.

Check it out.
 Rod Peeks on copping an attitude in your relationships
www.findingpersonalpeace.com

P.S. If you’re wondering where I got this list of attitudes you need to cop; I got them from the Bible in Philippians 2:1-5.

Thanks for reading our blog today. I invite you to respond in several ways: (1) Comment in the space below if you agree or disagree with what I've said. A dialogue could be interesting for all; (2) Share the post with your friends using the buttons below; and (3) sign up to get an email with each new post. There’s a place to do that on the right. Then you won’t have to remember to look for our subsequent posts. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment